A European Vacation Right in Cincinnati
Summer is here so vacation talk is everywhere. Maybe you’re headed to the beach or off in search of cool mountain breezes. Or perhaps you make an annual pilgrimage to a favorite lake house. Some of you may have bucket list travels on the calendar and will head to exotic places. For many, a European vacation sounds fantastic, but just may not fit your time or budget. Still, there’s no reason not to experience some of the foods and culture from around the world right here in Cincinnati. After all, we really are a melting pot right here in the heart of the Midwest.
If you’re staying close to home, here are a few suggestions to help ease your European travel envy:
- Visit Findlay Market. Cincinnati’s public market was recently named by Newsweek as one of the top ten public markets in the world. There’s no need to travel to Europe to recreate a market experience.
- Eat at French Crust Bistro & Cafe. From the artwork on the walls to the croissants in the pastry case, French Crust has everything you’ll find in a Parisian cafe. And they speak English!
- Dine at one of Taste of Belgium‘s four Cincinnati restaurants. You can enjoy crepes, frites, baguettes, and (of course) true Liege-style Belgian waffles. The selection of Belgian beers is the largest in the region, too!
- Pick up some Italian-style charcuterie from Panino. Butcher Nino Loreta cures and ages his meats the same way they do in the “Old Country.” The pastrami, coppa, soppressata, and salumi are top-notch and great for sandwiches and snacks. But don’t miss an opportunity to share a bottle of wine over a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs either. Delizioso!
- Take a self-guided walking tour along the Brewing Heritage Trail. Learn how the Germans put Cincinnati on the map in the 19th century. Top off your tour with a stein of local beer and a Bavarian pretzel at an Over-the-Rhine beer hall or brewery.