Cincinnati is Cool. Here Are Your Talking Points.
Are you the parent of an out-of town guest who will be visiting for the Thanksgiving holiday? Or maybe YOU are the transplant who has family visiting you here in Cincinnati. Do you cringe when they ask, “What’s so great about Cincinnati?” or “Why do you want to live here?” To relieve the stress, we’ve put together six talking points, in no particular order, to keep the dinner table conversation flowing.
- We have food to fit all tastes and budgets. From burgers to schnitzel, you can taste your way around the world within a few blocks of Findlay Market. We emphasize diversity in food and culture so that you might find Mediterranean cuisine right next door to a walk-up taco window. The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Saveur, Travel & Leisure, and Forbes are just a few of the national publications that love the Cincinnati culinary scene.
- We’re creative, artistic, and musically inclined. We have murals on every corner and music on the street. We have a free Contemporary Arts Center and a 19th century performance hall that hosts the nation’s 5th oldest symphony. In Cincinnati, history meets progress. From the largest light, art, and projection mapping event in the nation to the oldest and most prestigious choral festival in the Western Hemisphere, Cincinnati sings.
- We have a start-up culture that is creating a new economy. Investors, enthusiasts, and entrepreneurs work together to launch new ideas in fields from consumer goods to healthcare. Dreamers become doers with the help of a number of local incubators and accelerators. Shared co-working spaces, located in historic buildings, local breweries, and on university campuses, offer support and a spirit of mutual understanding. Big corporations get it, too. Innovation is everywhere. Remember, Cincinnati is where pigs fly!
- We’re makers. We manufacture stuff like Gorilla Glue and Rookwood Pottery. We also make food products that are unique like goetta and our own Cincinnati chili. We brew a lot of beer at more than 50 local breweries, make really good wine at an urban winery, and host the northernmost part of Kentucky’s Bourbon Trail.
- We work hard and play hard. We have acres of free parks, ice skating on Fountain Square, the Flying Pig Marathon, kickball leagues, ax throwing, salsa dancing, and the largest Oktoberfest outside of Munich. We also have three major league professional teams in Cincinnati. We don’t always win, but we’re good sports. And we know how to tailgate with the best of them.
- You don’t need a car as much as you think you do. You can even park with the Cincy EZPark app at a price you can afford. Take a free golf cart around downtown or ride the streetcar. We have a Red Bike sharing program, e-scooters like Bird and Lime, Uber, Lyft, and a Metro bus and shuttle system that’s ready to grow. Best of all, we have safe, walkable streets everywhere you want to eat, drink, or play, with friendly ambassadors and a community of residents willing to help you get around. And we do have that Midwest thing going on where we say hello to strangers on the sidewalk.
If you still need help telling our region’s story, why not invite them to join you on one of our Cincinnati Food Tours? We’re professionals at sharing the best of Cincinnati.